Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Journal #9

Lamb, A. (2011). Reading redefined for a transmedia universe. Learning & Leading with Technology,39(3), 12-17. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/learn/publications/learning-and-leading/digital-edition-november-2011.aspx


     This journal from ISTE's Learning and Leading publication about how the definitions of reading and books are being transformed was very informative. When I began reading this article I found myself getting a little bent out of shape to hear that their was a new standard and definition of what reading is. I felt like saying, "No! reading is and always will be reading words from real books with real pages!" but as I continued reading this changed. I guess sooner or later you have to accept that times and definitions are changing. 
     Reading further, I was educated on the new improvements and benefits to digital reading and books. With the interaction and entertainment involved in many digital story books, children who normally would never pick up a book are now more encouraged and excited to pick up or download a book. With the infusion of both text and media children still get the experience of reading but are also stimulated with the interactive portion of the book or text.
     Also the incorporation of online databases that hold digital editions of books and documents make those resource available to everybody in a easy to access way. Now you don't have to wait for that book to be available because anyone can access it at the same time online. The movement from tangible to intangible books and resources has literally lightened the load of students and made information accessible by anybody at any time.
Question: Does the digital transition of books take away from what readers would get out of a normal book?
Answer: If anything, the digital transition only enhance the reading experience. With extra digital resources to add to whatever a person is reading the knowledge base is increased dramatically. 

No comments:

Post a Comment